The William Harvey Library provides access to a wide range of electronic resources. Please see below for links to these resources together with links to introductory guides to accessing and using them.
Many of the resources require a George Eliot Athens Password particularly if used off site. For more about this please scroll to the bottom of the page.
For more details on any of these electronic resources including in many cases how to access them via your smart phone or tablet please contact the library staff.
Library staff can also undertake searches for you across a range of the these resources if you need help in finding the latest information.
Electronic Resources Available
- GEH Discovery – Search all our information resources in one go here. GEH Athens login needed for full text.
- NICE Evidence Search – This easy to use search engine searches only reputable sites such as Royal Colleges, the Cochrane Library and NICE’s own guidelines and documents. From any computer without password NICE Evidence Search guide (GEH Computers Only)
- BMJ Best Practice– Point of care resource can be accessed via this links:
From any computer (requires a George Eliot NHS Athens Password) Mobile app available.
- Royal Marsden Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures
From any computer (requires a George Eliot NHS Athens Password) (Link does not work using Internet Explorer – please use alternative browser e.g. Chrome)
From a hospital computer
Royal Marsden Manual Guide 9th ed (GEH Computers Only)
- Ebook Central – full text access ebooks. Some can be downloaded for up to one year. Browse to recommend others.
Link from any computer (requires a George Eliot NHS Athens Password)
- Trip Pro Medical database– evidence-based search engine for finding high quality evidence.
Link to TRIP from hospital computer
- Medicine – continuously updated review of clinical medicine – a tool to help trainees achieve their postgraduate qualification providing a concise overview of the latest medical knowledge. From any computer (requires a George Eliot NHS Athens Password)
- Biomedical Databases – Medline, Cinahl and six other biomedical databases (HDAS) are available from the NICE Evidence website
From any computer (requires a George Eliot NHS Athens Password)
Searching for articles using NICE Evidence (GEH Computers Only)
- Full Text Electronic Journals – the NHS provides access to hundreds of titles across a wide range of subjects. Some require a password but for access to all log in with a George Eliot NHS Athens Password via the link in the top right of the screen. Link to the NHS Journals Page
Guide to accessing full text journals (GEH Computers Only)
GEH NHS Open Athens Account
Staff and students on placement at George Eliot Hospital can register for an NHS Athens account (or if you have moved from another NHS Trust transfer the account to this trust). The resources available via an NHS Athens password vary between trusts depending upon what the individual trust has purchased.
Link to on line registration for a new NHS Athens account
To transfer your Athens account from another NHS Organisation click on this link , then login and on the next page select Change Organisation from the left hand menu.
If you are a member of George Eliot staff accessing this website from outside the hospital and wish to be sent a copy of the guides then please contact the library staff.