The William Harvey Library provides access to a wide range of electronic resources.
Many of the resources require an NHS OpenAthens Password particularly if used off site. Registration is simple and takes only a few minutes – sign up below
For more details on any of the electronic resources below or help on how to access them via your mobile or tablet please contact the library staff.
Library staff can also undertake searches for you across a range of the these resources if you need help in finding the latest information.
Electronic Resources Available
- Full Text Electronic Journals – the NHS provides access to hundreds of titles across a wide range of subjects. Some require a password but for access to all log in with a George Eliot NHS OpenAthens Password via the link in the top right of the screen. Link to the NHS Journals Page
Guide to accessing full text journals (GEH Computers Only) or find your favourite journals with Browzine
- NICE Evidence Search – This easy to use search engine searches only reputable sites such as Royal Colleges, the Cochrane Library and NICE’s own guidelines and documents.
- BMJ Best Practice– Point of care resource can be accessed via this link:
From any computer (requires a George Eliot NHS OpenAthens Password) Mobile app available. Discover training sessions on accessing and using BMJ Best Practice here
- New! Leadership and Management Databases Access to the Health Business Elite and Business Source Complete databases ideal for those on leadership programmes. Includes access to Harvard Business Review.
- Royal Marsden Manual of Clinical Nursing Procedures
From any computer (requires a George Eliot NHS OpenAthens Password) (Link does not work using Internet Explorer – please use alternative browser e.g. Chrome)
From a hospital computer
Royal Marsden Manual Guide 9th ed (GEH Computers Only)
- Ebook Central – a carefully curated collection of ebooks. Includes the popular Oxford Handbook series which can be downloaded for up to one year.
Link from any computer (requires a George Eliot NHS OpenAthens Password)
- Trip Pro Medical database– evidence-based search engine for finding high quality evidence.
Link to TRIP from hospital computer
- NICE Healthcare Databases – (HDAS). Search for articles and evidence using Medline, CINAHL and 7 other databases
From any computer (requires a George Eliot NHS OpenAthens Password)
More about GEH NHS OpenAthens Accounts
Staff and students on placement at George Eliot Hospital can register for an NHS OpenAthens account (or if you have moved from another NHS Trust transfer the account to this trust). The resources available via an NHS OpenAthens password vary between trusts depending upon what the individual trust has purchased.
Link to on line registration for a new NHS Athens account
To transfer your OpenAthens account from another NHS Organisation click on this link , then login and on the next page select Change Organisation from the left hand menu.
If you are a member of George Eliot staff accessing this website from outside the hospital and wish to be sent a copy of the guides then please contact the library staff.